.... have been very welcome recently. It was 34c in the shade on the deck this afternoon, but if the forecast is accurate, then we'll be down to the mid 20s for the next few days, which will feel very different from 34c.
Our strelitzia plant has grown so much over the last couple of years that it had become quite ungainly, so today's major task was to divide it into two plants and re-pot them. Removing the soil from the roots was quite difficult, but we managed to do it without breaking off too many parts of the root system. There was an obvious division point in the middle of the plant .....
..... so it was a simple job to cut it into two sections with a sharp kitchen knife.
Consulting various posts on the net about this process, one advised soaking the divided root systems in a 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes before re-potting, so we did our best to do that, although the extensive root system made it quite a challenge.
Finally the divided sections of the plant were potted up in a mixture of commercial and home-made compost. They are reputedly quite tough plants and this method of dividing them is pretty reliable - we will see!
We intend to offer one of the two plants to our neighbours, as we won't have enough space for two, especially if they continue to grow at the current rate.